Painting a Portrait
– Color Charts & Painting Procedure
Painting Color Charts
Zorn or Limited Palette Chart
Zorn & Traditional Color Charts. Color charts familiarize the artist with color mixing, color strength & color transparency. In this chart the artist enjoys seeing a variety of colors and skin tones in different situations. Color Key: W – Titanium or Lead White, Blk – Ivory Black, YO – Yellow Ocher, and R – Cadmium Red Light.
– use a palette knife to keep colors clean.
– for the Zorn Palette (top) strive for a smooth gradation of tones from the darkest tone the mixture will make to the lightest tone you can make while retaining the color identity.
– for the Traditional Palette (below) create light skin tones in values 2, 3, and 4; for shadows create values 5, 7, and 9; for neutrals make values 3, 5, 7, and 9.
– often it’s easiest to create the darkest and lightest tones first then fill in in between.
Color Key: W – Titanium or Lead White, Blk – Ivory Black, YO – Yellow Ocher, R – Cadmium Red Light,
Bl – Cobalt Blue, G – Viridian, Aliz – Alizarin Crimson, TR – Terra Rosa,
O – Cadmium Orange, BU – Burnt Umber.
Natural or Traditional Palette Chart